The seed for IAWW Community Program was sown following experiences of past IAWW boards and picked up at the 25th anniversary celebrations of Camp Bharat in 2014 when many of our alum from Camp Bharat and a few veteran Camp Bharat volunteers envisioned a dream of a “gathering place” for all ages and interests in the local Indian American population.
A general consensus emerged from Camp Bharat celebrations that echoed within the IAWW Executive Board – that as our community grows at this rapid pace, we need a physical space for inter generational and inter cultural programming addressing wellness, personal growth, and mentoring for individuals from different age demographics with an emphasis on an inclusive, secular and compassionate approach to all.
Serendipity intervened and the city of Bellevue approached IAWW to collaborate and bring the community to North Bellevue Community Center, Thursdays 9 a.m. to 9.00 p.m. IAWW board merged the existing Social Program into a new Community program with a committee of 15 community members who expressed interest in helping run the program. Committee members work with the Director of the Community Program actively donating, fundraising, creating programming and support services for the Community Program.
IAWW Community Program provides –
Thursday Daytime Programming
– Yoga, Senior Activities (conversational English, health and financial information, fun activities), Storytime for toddlers (coming up), Vocational classes for adults (coming up).
Thursday Evening Programming
– 1st Thursdays (7.00 pm Mindful Meditation) All Thursdays (7.30 pm-8.30 p.m. Cardio Fitness Dance & Abwork
Third Sundays (2-5 pm)
– Art Therapy; Yoga; Mentoring/Vocational Classes
– Youth Community Cafe (College & Career day, Meet your Peer – Young Adults with Youth Q&A; Tools for Challenging Conversations with your family for youth and parents; Gender Identity – Where Do We Stand?
– Yoga Day; Health Panels – Cutting Edge Science, Mental Health, General Health, Vitamins and Other Supplements; Oncology; Osteoporosis.
ANVI – Women’s Networking and Crisis Care Group
– Quarterly Workshops on Career Building, 1-1 Mentoring, Vocational Classes, Inspirational Speaker Series, Career and Job Fair,Art Docent Training and Art Therapy